Monday, January 10, 2011

FL Progressives may yet even hope...for a seat at the grownup's table

Attending a meeting of Florida* Progressives in Orlando Jan.8th at the huge Gaylord Palms Resort, I learned several important facts about the FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Hosted by the hard working progressive activist, Susan Smith.

First the long rumored anointing of former Sink running mate was consummated. Rod Smith is now party chairperson. Several activists who had attended the early Party Leadership meeting, commented that the party was trying something new... They actually had IDEAS and an AGENDA... but don't be scared FLORIDA... when someone asked is there now a PLATFORM COMMITTEE we got the word [a platform committee with you know, ideas... Is only under "consideration"] 

You might think when facing the CRIMINAL** party who has solidified control on the Governor's office, as well as the Legislature.  [Their website today announces that there will soon be a Criminal Party "debate" on FOX - the date? Dec 20th 2010 ] Keep on into the past there Criminal Party.

Other interesting news was that friends of progressives, inside the Florida Democratic Party assured us, they will work very hard, to get progressives a seat at the table. WHAT? Oh, yeah, there were some caveats... We have to play nice, send someone "presentable",  and most important of all... and this was said with deadly earnestness....to this group of progressive democrats clearly hoping, pleading, fawning, dreaming of working "INSIDE" the Florida Democratic Party [ok actually standing patiently on the front steps, near the door]  to where the GROWN-UPS meet. THERE MUST BE NO CRITICISM of the Florida Democratic Party. It would be rude! and might get someone elected.

Despite the GAG order, some did offer some very polite minor criticism was offered, like wouldn't it be nice if candidates, could SPEAK... if candidates addresses issues. if they addresses the real issues facing Floridians. Like Jobs, soaring gas prices, a foreclosure land-grab by "greedy bankers" [redundant I know, we need a better word - rapacious comes to mind.]

The good progressive activists, plan a conference on Legislation and the Legislature [it was duly noted that Legislator, disregard, not only the Florida Democratic Party - but those useless schmucks who sent them to Tallahassee - what are they called again, oh yeah CONSTITUENTS, ELECTORS, THE PEOPLE! ]

The goal of the LEGIS-CAMP is to better prepare Progressive Activists for working with the Legislature (currently in the strangle-hold of the Criminal Party) and where Florida-Dems are sprinkled they are by and large beholden to TALLAHASSEE for financial $UCCOR!

One thing I found very very unsettling when talk turned to "GOTV" [get out the vote] One of the bright lights offered this suggestion... We need some ballot initiatives to get out the youth vote - like legalize medical marijuana... there was a small polite gasp... but they completed their thought.. OF COURSE IT'S JUST FOR SHOW, IT COULD NEVER PASS... it's just to get the youths out there working on the TURNOUT - my, my, my... how cynical, SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE FLORIDA DEMOCRAT. 

If you want to participate in the LEGIS-CAMP to build a more progressive Florida - be there
Feb 13, location TBA  - remember though ... but criticize FLORIDA DEMOCRATS... at your peril.

Also for news on the recent Immigration Town Hall Meeting Florida Rep.Snyder held in Palm City. It was very very exciting - video clips to come.

FLORIDA*   - flori-DUH [home of a democratic party that seems unable to field a viable candidate](they might try a platform if it doesn't offend the FLA. Chamber of Commerce)

CRIMINAL PARTY**  - FAUX NEWs Legislative Crew,  aka Republicans, the political wing of the Violent Tea Party

solidarity & peace

Rick@AveryVoice.com

4 comments:

Vicki Impoco said...

Thanks for the summary Rick.

Susan S said...

Rick,
This post is ridiculous. You took the words and actions of the group out of context, and you need to apologize and remove it.

Susan Smith

Unknown said...

Susan

I have always appreciated your efforts. And I personally have no problem with people who choose, an "inside / outside" approach.

It's just not my cup of tea.

With the way the national party and the state party have gone so "off the rails" they should be looking to their activists for help and support. And I am personally not going to "cross me fingers and hope" for a seat at the table. That work is for others.

Maybe the voices that I heard, telling the group, to be nice, not speak negatively were all said, tongue in cheek. It didn't sound like it to my ears, when the tactic about using referendum issues, to get out the "youth vote" and the Marijuana Initialive, and other as you put it, the speaker used air quotes around, liberal causes really did support a Marijuana Initiative.

It didn't seem so to my ear. Besides, it wasn't introduced in the context of a REAL CHALLENGE to the status quo - It was introduced in the context of a "WHAT CAN WE DO to Get Out The Vote??? Let's use Marijuana - well Susan, I respectfully disagree. I know people who have spent years of their short lives, because of the PHONY War on Drugs, Lives, shattered and shuttered... So that Law Enforcement can keep some perks, and a whole PUBLIC/PRIVATE sector, can draw their daily pay, by incarcerating thousands.

I'll be attending the Medical Marijuana Benefit this weekend. I don't know where you stand, and none of my analysis was intended to suggest that you, are anything but a wonderful activist. I mentioned your leadership and Edwin's excellent LegisCamp initiative, that was launched at the meeting. Which in my opinion, is excellent and will serve progressives well, and I said so.

I attacked no one, I impugned no one, I reported what I heard, and what I saw. I was not pleased by what I thought would be a discussion of two tracks, an inside track and an outside track.

I heard that friends of progressives inside the party had some hope, that they might get progressives a seat at the table. That is nice. But since even those who reported that they heard good speeches. Reported it with some skepticism.

Many would find a potential reproachmant with the party a fine thing. I heard no protestations otherwise at the table. Since no one challenged the sage advice offered by people who seemed primarily party affiliated, that if we look nice, and don't say complain, we might be invited in.

It seems to me, that National Democratic Leadership has shown plainly they are not interested in any of our thoughts opinions or efforts. And if the state democratic party has under gone, the hoped for transformation.

I'll be working with organizations that actually listen to progressive input, and possess progressive values. One can always hope.

I never will complain or dismiss those of good will who pursue an INSIDE/OUTSIDE, approach. But my reporting reflected what I saw, and what I heard. Other than Edwin's LEGIS-CAMP - I heard a meeting that was largely focused on getting inside the Florida Democratic Party's Big Tent... with it's very low ceiling.

I have always appreciated and respected any opportunity I've had to work with you. I have only see you do more and write more and with a true heart. I have been honored to call you friend. I was reporting honestly what I saw, and heard. Each eye sees a different tree, this is how it always is.

solidarity & peace
Rick@AveryVoice.com

Susan S said...

Rick,
"Maybe the voices that I heard, telling the group, to be nice, not speak negatively were all said, tongue in cheek."

This comment was thrown out by a member of the group as the meeting was breaking up. No one agreed or disagreed with it. The fact that you chose to misrepresent it as a consensus, tells me that you came into this with a preconceived notion of what we were doing.

"It didn't sound like it to my ears, when the tactic about using referendum issues, to get out the "youth vote" and the Marijuana Initialive, and other as you put it, the speaker used air quotes around, liberal causes really did support a Marijuana Initiative."

I described her comment only because you claimed not to have heard what was said. The fact is, the "air quotes" comment was given as an example of how we could use the ballot initiative PROCESS to further the progressive agenda. You chose to mis-characterize it as a sinister use of the ballot initiative process!

This past Saturday's meeting was about how we should proceed. The fact that you arrived half an hour late and missed the beginning of our discussion possibly colored your impressions of what we were doing. I would prefer that you leave the group since you don't seem to want to work in good faith with the rest of us. I asked you to either remove your post and apologize to all of us, or leave the group. You have done neither. I can remove you if you don't want to remove yourself. I will not have you "listen" to our discussion when we obviously can't trust that you are accurately reporting our intentions, actions, or words.